Friday, January 11, 2008

Almost-Famous Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies


These are probably the best chocolate cookies ever, and the great thing is they're vegan and even slightly healthier than regular chocolate chip cookies. I usually stick to my standard recipe, but the other day I improvised a bit and they turned out quite well, so I'll post that variation below.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar (I use evaporated cane sugar rather than that overly-processed white crap)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 sticks (one cup) earth balance spread (it doesn't have any hydrogenated oils and it's totally vegan so I love it, but I suppose you could use regular margarine or even butter)
1 banana (the browner the better), mashed really well or even pureed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (or more) chocolate chips
Procedure:
Preheat oven to 350. Mix sugars and earth balance spread in a large bowl until nice and creamy; add banana and vanilla and mix until well blended. Mix flour, soda and salt in another bowl, then add gradually to the sugar mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and help yourself to a healthy spoonful of delicious dough! Drop spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, or until they've barely started to brown. Let cool for a few minutes and try not to eat all of them in one sitting.

Tips and Variations:
  • Last time I made these cookies I replaced half the flour with whole wheat flour, reduced the earth balance by half (to 1/2 cup or one stick) and added an extra banana. They turned out really good and are even healthier with the addition of whole wheat flour and less oil.
  • Big or small, these cookies turn out really well. When I want to get more out of a batch, I just make the dough balls a bit tinier.
  • Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper--cookies don't stick and it makes clean-up super easy.

2 comments:

Amy said...

These were delicious!!! :)

angie said...

yummmmmmmmmmmmmm