Monday, December 10, 2007

Viva San Diego


Just got back from four days in sunny (to be honest it was pretty cloudy and a bit rainy during my stay) San Diego. I went out there to visit my good friend from college, Katie. We had lots of fun just hanging out, and it was really nice to get away from work and all the crap I have to think about in everyday life--not to mention the brutal weather here. We didn't really do anything exciting: went to a few parties and hung out with Katie's boyfriend JB; ate at some of their favorite local spots, like the restaurant Katie works at (I had fish tacos--my fave!); experienced the bar scene; and I helped Katie through a minor drunken breakdown after said bar scene. Katie lives in Cardiff by the Sea, which is in North County, so that area is where we spent most of our time (Del Mar, Encinitas, Carlsbad, and lots of other little towns that are all grouped together along the coast). On Saturday we headed into the city and checked out Balboa Park, which was really beautiful. I wish we would have been able to visit some of the many museums in the park, but that will have to wait until my next visit. Saturday night we bartended for Katie's dad's company's Christmas party, which was at her parents' house in Carlsbad. It was a really neat party--they had a chef come in and cook up a bunch of fun appetizers. Most of them were pretty meat-centric, but the ones I could try were really good. Anywhoo, I'll put some pics from the trip up soon. Meanwhile, I'll be freezing my butt off and dreaming of faraway lands ...