Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Cooking up a blizzard, maybe.

As a pre-Thanksgiving gift Chris surprised me with Veganomicon, the cookbook we've both been coveting. I've had it for less than a week and I've already tried out a bunch of recipes--all of them were major successes! For dinner on Friday I made a pasta with spicy tempeh and broccoli, and it was amazing. You mash up the tempeh after it's cooked, with all the spices (fennel seeds included!) it totally tastes like sauces (but without the gross meaty texture). It was so good I not only had it for dinner on Friday, but lunch AND dinner on Saturday. I think Chris may have pilfered some of it for his midnight snack on Friday, too. On Monday I made chickpea cutlets. They were so much easier than I thought they would be since this was my very first experience cooking with vital wheat gluten. They kind of mimic those Boca chick patties, but a) are cheaper b) have way less processing c) are better because they're homemade! To go along with that we roasted some little red potatoes, carrots and parsnips (I'd never tried parsnips before, but they're really good). Last night I made spicy cornmeal-crusted tofu po' boys complete with homemade slaw and a spicy aoli I sort of threw together myself. They were delicious, and really spicy. But mostly delicious. I also made scallion flat bread, which was lovely. I really need to start taking pictures of these creations.

1 comment:

angie said...

this cookbooks sounds intense! good thing you're such a good little chef. :)