Thursday, November 15, 2007

Vegan Mac & Cheese

So last night during a short break in my painting fiasco (more on that later), I decided to whip up a comforting batch of my fabulous vegan macaroni and cheese. I pretty much change the recipe slightly each time I make it to accomodate what I have or don't have on hand at the time--luckily this is a very forgiving recipe and nothing needs to be too precise. I wouldn't say it tastes much like the Kraft Mac 'n' Cheese I grew up with, but it's totally hits the spot. I even tested it out on my teenage cousins and they had no idea it was a cheeseless dish--now that's success!

Ingredients
  • 1 package elbow macaroni, shells or any other type of pasta you'd like, cooked (should make about six cups when cooked)
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes (available in the bulk bins at most coops)
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 4-6 teaspoons dried herbs/seasoning (I use whatever I have on hand. Last night it was basil, oregano, marjoram and a pinch of chili powder.)
  • Salt and pepper to your liking
  • 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce or Bragg

Preheat oven to 350. Mix yeast flakes and flour in a small saucepan over med-low heat until they start to smell nice and toasty (but don't let them burn!). Then slowly whisk in the vegetable broth and water to form a smooth sauce. Add the seasonings, tomato sauce and soy sauce, and mix until blended. Put cooked pasta in a 9"x13" pan/casserole dish, and add sauce. Stir until all the past is coated with the sauce, then stick it in the oven for about 30 minutes. Usually I just forget about it until the timer goes off and the top is a little crusty and chewy (fine by me!), but if you like all your noodles to be tender and coated in sauce, be sure to stir it a few times while it's baking. Let cool for a few minutes, season to taste and serve. Yum!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oooh, I should totally try this on Adrian sometime and see if he can tell the difference. But wait, that would mean I'd have to cook. Hmmm.