Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Banana fana fo fana ...

The reason I didn't get a picture of these bars until the pan was almost empty is that, well, I pretty much just couldn't stop eating them long enough to grab my camera. Earlier this week I wanted to make something sweet and yummy and different, and I also happened to have five over-ripe bananas chilling out in my freezer. I found the recipe on the Post Punk Kitchen, made a few modifications, and ended up with a lovely, cakey, chocolate chip-y version of banana bread. Click the PPK link above for the original recipe; my slightly modified version is posted below.

3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
A dash of cinnamon
5 very ripe bananas, pureed
1/2 cup canola oil
6 oz container vanilla soy yogurt
1/2 cup soy milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
12-ounce bag mini chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a smaller bowl mix all wet ingredients. Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture until well blended. Fold in chocolate chips. Bake in a greased 9x13 pan until well-set and nicely browned on top, 45 minutes or so. *My oven tends to burn things on top while leaving the middle mushy, so I covered the pan with foil and ended up baking it for a little over an hour. After 35 minutes in the oven I checked the underside of the pan every ten minutes until I was sure the center was completely cooked.

1 comment:

angie said...

oooh nice! i have at least four bananas in my freezer right now ... this recipe (or at least the idea) might be calling my name!