Sunday, March 9, 2008

Birthday Cupcakes!!!

Since it was my birthday I decided that just one variety of cupcake would never do, so I made three: vanilla with (purple) vanilla frosting, mocha with Bailey's frosting, and choco-banana with peanut butter frosting. My initial grand idea was to make three completely different frostings for the cupcakes, but after an hour-long failed attempt at my childhood favorite--fluffy white frosting--I was out of time and energy. I ended up just whipping up a big batch of my vegan vanilla icing and dividing it into three bowls before the addition of the soy milk. In the first I added the soy milk and some blue and red food coloring to use for the vanilla cupcakes. Chris finished off the other two, adding peanut butter and soy milk to one, and a bit of Bailey's Irish Cream (we cheated--I'm pretty sure that's not vegan) to the other. It was fabulous because we ended up with three distinct frostings from a single recipe/batch.

No comments: